Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Recap #1: Money and Technology

Although I feel as if I've only scratched the surface, the semester is ending and I have to start finding a way to wrap things up. I've re-read my earlier posts and a few issues stick out over and over again. I'll be posting on them for the next couple of days. Please read on...

1. Money = Technology. Throughout the course of the semester, I've found people raving or talking or bragging about different kinds of technology and the effects it will have in the classroom. Sometimes I've been unable to believe all the hype, but even when I completely agreed that a type of technology (like blogs) could be an excellent classroom tool, I still found myself coming back to the money. I just can't get forget that the cooler and newer something is, the fewer people there are who will have the opportunity to use it. In this case, those people are students.

Way back in my second post, I found government tests that showed unsurprising results. Apparently, the poorer you are, the more likely it is that you are one of the "writers left behind." But technology always costs money. And if your parents don't have enough money to provide you with all the latest and greatest in technology, then your school probably doesn't either. That just proves that the very students that could most use the help that all this new and exciting technology could provide - these are the very same students that are the least likely to get to use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter