Thursday, September 29, 2005

Internal links/ tech in the classroom, ect...

Well, I finally figured out how to include links in the post. For my future posts, I will include both the direct links to any page I mention and the actual address. I also plan to go back and edit my old posts to include links.

I have a tiny bit of web knowledge, but after spending too much time trying to figure out the simple stuff, I find myself feeling sorry for educators and parents that have little or no knowledge of the internet/ technology/ computers. (Being able to turn it on or find a file just doesn't count.) As a society we are being told that a "good" education for our children will come with all this extra stuff. But how much education are our educators getting? How can a teacher help her students understand and use technology if she doesn't really understand or feel comfortable using it herself?

Also, though I get excited at some of the neat stuff out there and the applications I see that it could have in the classroom, I have to go back to my original question. Do computers or technology really help students become better writers? The assumption that throwing a few more computers in a classroom of poor students is a "fix" is out there. I remember when schools were obsessed with the ratio of students to teachers. When looking at their web sites, you still find that, but now you also see the number of students to each computer. It's as if the computer is expected actually act as a teacher. How does this work? Can we really believe that this plastic box can replace or compensate for the lack of good teaching?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter